site
view
here torrent

Church History

 

  • Early 1957 - Survey by the Massachusetts Council of Churches in the Topsfield – Boxford area of religious needs.
  • May 27, 1957 - Bill Coolidge chaired a temporary steering committee. Forty visitors, in pairs, visited homes to judge interest in an Episcopal church.
  • July 18, 1957 -  Inauguration of an Episcopal mission, with worship at the Topsfield Congregational Church. Archdeacon Donald Noseworthy as 'Minister in Charge' and 72 adults signed up.
  • September 8, 1957 -  First worship service, held at the Linebrook Road Church.
  • October 1957 - The Rev. Herman (Woodie) Silvius III named 'Minister in Charge' of Trinity Mission of Topsfield and Boxford.
  • February 1959 - Bill Coolidge gave Trinity 9 acres of land for a building site.
  • April 1959 - Jack Peirce of Peirce and Pierce Associated Architects of Cambridge presented their first plans.
  • May 5,1959 - Trinity Mission is accepted as a 'Mission in Union' with the diocese.
  • October 25, 1959 - Ground-breaking for the new church at 124 River Road.
  • March 28,1960 - Trinity Church is voted as 'self sustaining' and incorporated into the Diocese of Massachusetts.
  • October 23,1960 - First worship service in the new building (though it is not complete).
  • January 22,1961 - Dedication of the new building.
  • 1964 - The Trinity Preschool was established.
  • March 1966 - Statuary by Walker Hancock for the Gethsemane Garden, given byBill Coolidge, was dedicated. Statues honor Jonathan Myrick Daniels' martyrdom the year before.
  • 1967 - The bell-tower was built.
  • 1970 - Dedication of the memorial organ.
  • June 1970 -  Burning the mortgage on the church building.
  • 1972 - Established the Memorial Garden and built the Rectory.
  • 1978 - The Rev. Cynthia Hubbard became the first paid Associate Rector.
  • 1979 - The new Book of Common Prayer.
  • 1982 - The Hymnal 1982 is published (the Blue Hymnal).
  • 1986 - The Rev. Norman and Margaret Montjane come to Trinity from South Africa.
  • January 1989 - The founding rector, the Rev. Woodie Silvius retired. The Rev. Betty Lameyer was called as Interim Rector.
  • 1990 - The Rev. Jeffrey Gill called as Rector.
  • 1992 - The Education for Ministry Program was started. The Rev. Joyce Scherer-Hoock was called as Assistant Rector.
  • 1997 - The supplement to the Hymnal 1982, Wonder, Love, and Praise, is published.
  • 2001 -  Addition built onto the Church for offices, classrooms, and meeting space.
  • September, 2002 - The Rev. Jeff Gill left to serve Christ Church/Andover.
  • October 2003 - The Rev. Nathan Farrell was called as Rector.
  • 2004 - The Rev. Joyce Scherer-Hoock left to serve a parish in Peabody.
  • 2005 - A bell choir was formed.
  • June 2005 - The Rev. Nathan Farrell left.
  • November 2005 - The Rev. Johanna Barrett was called as Priest in Charge. A concert was held to benefit Esperanza Academy, to be opened in Lawrence in September 2006.
  • 2006 - The Rev. Sabeth Fitzgibbons was called as curate. The first CROP Walk hosted by Trinity raised funds to fight hunger and poverty.
  • September 2007 - Trinity celebrated its 50th anniversary.
  • October, 2008 - The Rev. Jo Barrett was called as Rector.
  • 2009 - The Rev. Dick Stowe was called as Priest Associate. Teens went to Prince Edward Island, exploring Creation Spirituality. A Christmas Fair raised funds for the parish.
  • 2011 - The Comprehensive Campaign raised funds for Outreach, Programming, and Building Maintenance.
  • 2012 - The Rev. Dan Weir was called as Priest Associate.
  • 2013 - Topsfield's food pantry, The Top Cupboard, moved to Trinity.
  • 2015 - An outdoor altar was built in the grove in front of the church and blessed by the Rt. Rev. Alan Gates.
  • 2016 - Trinity hosted the community remembrance at the Four Chaplains Memorial Service. In April, the Rt. Rev. Gayle Harris rededicated the statuary in the Gethsemane Garden on its 50th anniversary.
  • 2017 - A Eucharistic Visitor program was re-established at Trinity to bring communion to Masconomet Health Care center and to parishioners who cannot come to church.
  • 2018 - A benefit concert was held to support the Esperanza Academy.

© 2019 Trinity Episcopal - Topsfield, MA
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community